Saturday, November 01, 2008

Brinjal Roast (Cooking At Home With Pedatha)




I have been trying out various recipes from this cookery book, Cooking At Home With Pedatha, and have had great success. This Brinjal Roast has been a favorite with everyone at home, I have just changed the recipe a little bit by adding sambar powder with the chilli powder, another variation I have made is, I use Japanese eggplants instead of the round variety as they are easily available in any supermarket, and then I steam these in the microwave for 5 minutes, and hence I use less oil and it cooks faster. These changes I have made are due to the fact that this is how I have always made Brinjal Roast or Fry as I call it by adding sambar powder before I got the cookbook.

5 Japanese Eggplants look for the slim thin ones
salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chilli pwd
1 tsp sambar powder

To Season:

2 tbsps oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp udad dal
1/4 tsp hing
1/4 tsp turmeric
a few curry leaves

Method:

Cut the brinjals into 2 inch pieces and then halve them in the middle.
Steam them in a microwave for 5 minutes.
Heat oil add seasoning ingredients once the mustard seeds splutter add the brinjals and let it brown on a medium flame.
Then add salt chilli pwd, and the sambar pwd.
Cook until done.
Serve with rice as a side dish.

Note:She used round brinjals, did not microwave it and did not use sambar powder. I also changed the quantities to suit my palate.




No comments: